Summer Camps near St. Louis
Camp Manitowa is planning on hosting summer camp in 2021. We are consulting with health experts and reviewing best practices for COVID-19 protocols to be implemented throughout the entire camp experience.
At Camp Manitowa properties with our summer camps near St. Louis in Southern Illinois, we strive to provide campers an environment that fosters all the skills parents want their kids to develop early on in life. Our 2nd to 9th grade campers gain independence, build self-esteem, and learn about cooperation and problem-solving, all while making new, lifelong friends. We offer a small community for campers so that they feel like they are part of the Manitowa family. By offering structured free choice activities we encourage kids to feel a sense of belonging and control over their experience, which leaves them feeling empowered and able to learn and grow. View a typical day at Camp Manitowa, and a map of the grounds. Our well-rounded summer camp near St. Louis provides children ample entertainment opportunities. With so many water, art, sports and nature activity options, campers will want to return to Manitowa for years and generations to come. We serve campers from St. Louis, Indianapolis, Chicago, Kansas City, Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, and the many communities of Southern and Central Illinois. Your child will make new friends from all over! We have addressed many common questions on our FAQs page, but if don’t find you answer there and you have a concern or question, please feel free to call Dan: 314-348-6412 or Andy: 314-591-7771. They will be happy to answer your questions over the phone or address any of your concerns through a face-to-face meeting. Rising ninth and tenth graders have the opportunity to attend a Smokey Mountain Adventure Trip in TN and a Rocky Mountain Adventure Trip in CO. for 9th & 10th Graders.. You can sign up for Camp Manitowa here: REGISTER HERE
We are excited to be able to run camp this summer and have been closely following the latest CDC Guidance for summer camps. We intend to do our best to keep campers and staff safe, will implement the following core practices:
- Screening and testing: Campers and staff will be required to show a positive COVID test 72 hours before coming to camp. Campers and staff also take rapid test upon arriving at camp.
- Camper drop off and pick: We will have one central location separate from main camp where campers will be dropped off on the first day and picked up on the last day. We will ask parents to stay close to their cars and not enter into main camp.
- Best practices for masks: Campers and staff will wear masks when indoors on the bus and outdoors within 6 feet for a prolonged period of time.
- Camp activities: We will be OUTDOORS and spread out as much as possible. We will not hold activities in the WIG WAM rec hall or “old dining hall” unless we have inclement weather.
- Staffing: All our staff will be encouraged to take the vaccine. The Franklin County office of the Illinois Department of Health are offering vaccine to any Camp Manitowa employee over 16 without appointment. Our goal is to have a 100% vaccinated staff by the start of camp. Staff will be tested regularly throughout the summer.
- Village life: We will have reduced capacity in the yurts. Campers will not be allowed to hang out in other campers’ yurts. We’ll have maximum distanced between beds, sleep head to toe and increase the number of fans, air flow, and ventilation. We will have limited numbers in the shower houses at one time and will schedule shower times.
- Food service: We will have extended spaced out food lines, limit the numbers of people in dining hall, encouraged campers and staff to eat outside.
- Hand hygiene: We will have hand sanitizer at each yurt and in communal spaces. Campers and staff will be regularly encouraged to wash their hands and use sanitizer
Food is a significant part of a camp experience…you eat everyday! We offer a balanced menu with a variety of food kids like. We are a nut free facility and because of our small size we can accommodate most every food allergies and special dietary needs of any camper. We have a relationship with, and buy produce from the local Benton Farmer’s Market. Each summer we hire a professional chef who can accommodate any individual camper’s dietary need or food allergy. We try to avoid frying food in our kitchen and bake foods that are typically fried. Camp Manitowa is a nut-free facility. At camp we just take what we need so we don’t waste resources. We encourage our campers to take enough food to fill their belly and not to have excess food that gets thrown away. We teach the importance of food and how food keeps us healthy. At Camp Manitowa no one goes hungry!
Our Health Center is staffed by a licensed registered nurse with school and camp nursing experience. One of our RNs dispenses all medications to campers as prescribed by your family doctor and treats campers at any time if they are ill or sustain an injury. Parents are always called when a child stays overnight in the Health Center, needs to see a specialist, or needs to be started on prescription medication. In the unlikely event of a more serious illness or injury, Camp Manitowa is 5 minutes from the Franklin Hospital in Benton. Parents are always welcome to contact our nurse before camp starts and during their child’s stay.
2021 Summer Camp Schedule:
DUE TO COVID-19 WE ARE OFFERING AN ABBREVIATED SUMMER CAMP SCHEDULE:
SESSION III (JULY 11-24)
Session III A (July 11-19)
SESSION IV (JULY 25-AUGUST 7)
Session IV A (July 25-July 31)
Taste of Manitowa 50% off (Aug. 8-14)
Manitowa Cedar Point
Camp Nadav Jewish Camp Program
Week Aleph – July 19-25
For a printable Parents Guide, registration forms and packing list suggestions -> CAMP FORMS.